Monday, January 5, 2009

Holiday Photos

This year I really made an effort to get something different in my holiday photos, and focus on people. I didn't end up getting any good Christmas light shots, or caroling or anything, but I did get a good variety and I think I ended up with a decent collection. Most of these didn't run, but often the ones that don't get in print are my favorites.

First, a trip to the mall Santa. This guy has been playing Santa at the Janss Mall for 21 years now. Most of the families that come to take photos with him have long stories about all the past years' photos. Parents lean over to whisper, "Sarah was afraid you wouldn't recognize her anymore with her new braces," and he leans back, grins his big Santa grin and replies, "Of course I do! How could I forget such a pretty face?"

This little guy was all but buried in Santa's huge coat and furry sleeves. He had a long list (you can see it covers both sides of the page) !


The Giving Tree moved back to the newly remodeled Oaks Mall this year, and the volunteers who run it returned too. I love that the actual tree looks exactly like the one on the poster.




The award-winning Los Robles Master Chorale performed their holiday program. Choirs are always fun to shoot, since each singer has a different expression. I was hoping for a little more ordered shot, with all the faces clearly visible, but this was the best I could manage.



For the first time this year I shot a Toys for the Needy pickup, around the 23rd of December I beleive, and it was such fun. I'm determined to learn fluent Spanish this year. I think it's ridiculous that I live in a place where freeway offramps are named "Reyes Adobe" and "Avenida De Los Arboles" but I can't understand what these families were saying. I had no way to chat with them and make them less nervous around my camera.
Still, it was such an (unexpectedly) joyous atmosphere. Think more Holiday Fiesta than Toys for Needy Families. Everyone was drinking steaming cups of hot chocolate, huddling close against the freezing wind, laughing and chatting. Children weaved between the adults, chasing each other and playing with their new toys.




A living nativity, of course, this one put on by a Catholic youth group in Camarillo.




And the very first community menorah lighting in Moorpark. They had stunt bike riders doing tricks (and jumping over Jewish leaders!) which made for some really nice expressions on these little boys.


No comments: