Monday, January 5, 2009

Hello, beautiful.



This is the Canon EOS-1D Mark II N, birthed in 2005 and soon to be the replacement for my old, tired, beat-up 20D. A Christmas present from my generous mother. We're not loaded, so it won't be a new one, but a nice ebay model with low actuations should do nicely.

I'm still debating the lens to pair with the new body, since my workhorse EF-S 17-85 won't mount to the EF body. I want to stay as wide but there are not really any EF lenses that give me the coverage of the 17-85, which is actually a classic 28-135 with the 20D's 1.6 conversion factor. The Mark II has a 1.3 factor, so the closest I can get to that same spread is the 24-70 (a 31-91 with conversion factor) or 17-40 if I want to stay wide, but that means I would be relying on the cheapo EF 70-300 a lot more... ugh.

Anyway, I'm still thinking.

Thought I should add this shot, captured by my longtime friend and talented photographer Jon Gordon, at an event last month we were both shooting. He sent me this email along with it:

Dear Friends,

I am distressed to find that there are no depths to which paparazzi will go to get photos of celebrities, now even lurking in cemeteries. I captured a photo of this unscrupulous photographer the other day, and will be forwarding it to the proper authorities. Please let me know if you can identify this nefarious character.

With a heavy heart,

Jon Gordon




Looks like nefarious characters like me better find new places to shoot!

No comments: